Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas.....baking


I don't often bake
sweets, that is
I will bake bread
but not often sweets
we try not to keep
to many sweets

But Christmas seems
like baking should be done
not sure why I feel this way
but I fell prey
I baked sugar cookies
the recent post on
The Pioneer Women
may have something to do with it
so I headed over to
Bake at 350
I did not have illusions
of the amazing cookies
on Bridget's blog
but I thought it
would be a fun idea
to let my kids decorate a few

Vanilla-Almond Sugar Cookies

3 c unbleached, all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 c sugar (I use sugar that I've stored vanilla beans in)
2 sticks (salted) butter, cold
1 egg
3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pure almond extract (I didn't use this)

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine the flour and baking powder, set aside. Cream the sugar and butter. Add the egg and extracts and mix. Gradually add the flour mixture and beat just until combined, scraping down the bowl, especially the bottom.

The dough will be crumbly, so knead it together with your hands as you scoop it out of the bowl for rolling (video on University of Cookie).

Roll onto a floured surface and cut into shapes. Place on parchment lined baking sheets (I recommend freezing the cut out shape on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before baking) and bake for 10-12 minutes. Let sit a few minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.


on a side note
I love my kitchen aid
my sister was able
to score it for me
used for $40
the only thing
the lever to keep
it locked in place
it doesn't work
but I can fix that
sorta.....


these were easy to make
and baked for me
in about 10 minutes
it depends
of course
on the thickness


I was certain
my kids would really
enjoy decorating the cookies
I made them each
their own letter
ohhh the excitement
for me anyway
the fact that my kidlets
have yet to learn
their names didn't matter


I mixed icing sugar with lemon
to ice the cookies
armed each of my kidlets
with paint brushes
gave a brief demonstration
that was disregarded by all
and let them go


the kids enjoyed
painting the cookies
for all of 2 minutes
then they just
mostly enjoyed eating
the icing and toppings
it took all
my will power
to just let them be
to not direct
or discourage
but to just let
them be themselves
the did have fun
at least I'm pretty sure


like I said
they enjoyed
eating the icing
here is the evidence


the kids left
and this is what
they left
and I was alright
with that



it allowed me to
decorate the remaining cookies
I am no expert cookie decorator
but they are fun looking
and I did enjoy
letting the kids try
even if it did seem
a little bit pointless
we spent a bit of time
together doing
something fun

No comments:

Post a Comment