Monday, January 31, 2011

Coconut Scones


My family is totally
loving the baking lately
these scones
are loved

COCONUT SCONES

2 c. flour
(I used 1 cup white, 1 cup whole wheat)
3 tsp. baking powder
6 tbsp. sugar
(I used 3 tbsp.)
2 eggs
1 c. grated coconut
(I used about 1 1/2 c.)
3 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Sift together flour, baking powder,
salt, and sugar
Stir well
Add coconut, then the butter
using two knives to cut it in
or a pastry blender
('D' shaped whisk type deal)


Beat the eggs and milk
in a separate bowl
along with the vanilla


add the wet mixture
to the dry mixture
combine until it is
just all wet, do not over mix
Roll out on a lightly floured board
1/2 inch thick
it was very sticky
so I added a bit more flour
to the top so I could pat it out
Brush the tops with melted butter
and sprinkle with sugar


I used a pizza cutter
to cut these into squares
Bake in hot 375°F oven
for about 20 minutes
and the tops are golden


I made these one morning
it was quick and easy
the kids loved them
the little man had 2
the girly had 1 1/2
my husband
I lost count


I've enjoyed making
different scones
they are so very easy
and my husband loves
having homemade baking
in the house


If you haven't tried
making scones yet
what are you waiting for?

2 comments:

  1. mmmm! I'll be trying these for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE making scones....everybody does them so different...if you want them higher and more puffy, don't roll them out just make a big fat circle and cut them out with a floured drinking glass or cut them into triangles...you'll get a higher scone (though i bet the flatter ones are easier for your kids to eat!! :) jo....

    ReplyDelete