Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lentil Stew


This was going to be a soup
but it turned out thick
so I'm calling it a stew

Lentil Stew

2 cups Green French Lentils
1 bunch of Kale, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
broccoli, finely chopped
28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
seasoning salt
pepper
cumin
dash of red pepper
2 tblsp coconut oil
4 cups vegetable stock
4 cups water, more if needed


I had a rough recipe
but basically
I ended up doing
my own thing

Saute the onion,
celery and carrots
in the coconut oil
add the vegetable stock
to the sauteed veggies


rinse the lentils
and pick thru
just to let you know
when I see those instructions
it totally annoys me
I always think I should
be looking for something
and it's time consuming
however when I do it
I often don't find
much to pick out
so I'm over it
it's easy and fast to
do this step
enough of my vent
okay
add the lentils
and the additional
4 cups of water


Kale
I know it scares
some of you
it shouldn't
it's so healthy for you
rinse the kale
and destem it
the easiest way
fold the kale leaf in half


then run your knife
down the spine of the leaf
this is the fastest way
that I found to do this


I then put it in the food processor
to chop it up small
so it cooks faster
Kale is a bit tougher
than spinach
and takes longer to cook
add to the soup pot
along with the tomatoes


then add all the spices
I played with this for some time
I wasn't totally happy
with the spice blend
so I played with it
until it was decent
I brought it to a boil
then simmered it
for about 4 hours
this would be good
to do in the crockpot
at least I thought after
I started cooking
we all enjoyed this stew
we didn't love it
as an add in
I used greek yogurt
mixed with cumin and
fresh cut parsley
and we ate it
with taco chips



1 comment:

  1. Well, it sure looks delicious!! I need to make more recipes with lentils because I LOVE them. I put them in my hamburger patties, but have never made "stew" with them...I'll have to give it a try. :)

    ReplyDelete