Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tempt my Tummy Tuesday


I'm a little late today in posting this. But I'm finding that as the kids get bigger they just naturally take up more of my time and sitting down on the computer is minimal during the day.
But better late than never.
This week...MMMMMM.....LASAGNA!
The perfect rainy weather meal with a good salad and warm bread

There are so many ways to make this dish, but I would recommend you always make at least 2 so you can freeze one. This is one of those dishes that easily doubles.


So I cut up some veggies and used 2 cans of sauce that I found on sale and then I add my hamburger...RAW...yes, you read that right. I don't precook it. Really, it's OK. I really prefer the meat done like this, it's so tender and you don't get those hard pieces of hamburger from prefrying it. Just be sure to break the meat up while the sauce is cooking. And here is my secret that I gleaned from the cook at a local pasta place here...CINNAMON. He said to add cinnamon to your pasta sauce, I've done this since then and it's always a hit. Just do a little bit, trust me, try it, it's good.

I put my two dishes side by side, just for you! So you can see how I layer it and create this yummy dish. You start with a thin layer of the sauce on the bottom of the dish and then lay the noodles on top. NOTICE my noodles are NOT cooked...they are not even those special ones that say oven ready. They are whole wheat noodles, nothing special. You DO NOT need to precook the noodles....EVER...serious, don't spend the extra time or the extra money for ones that say oven ready...they all are.

Then I add frozen spinach that I had wrung all the liquid out of and cottage cheese and another layer of noodles....that are not cooked...get it...not cooked, really trust...me...

more sauce...more noodles...that are not cooked...I think I've made my point with not having to cook the noodles...we are building trust along with this lasagna here

top with yummy gooey cheese as much as your heart is ready for. Cover the extra one, label and freeze.
Cook for an hourish at 350, ON A BAKING SHEET, trust people. You'll thank me when the sauce boils over the side of the dish. If the cheese is getting too brown, cover it with foil while it finishes cooking

Look at all this goodness. Let it sit for about 10 minutes or so. I'm so happy that this time my lasagna actually held up. I often make it watery, my family still loves it, but this time....YAY, it stayed together.

MMMM, goodness in the belly

Head over to see more Tempt my Tummy recipes....you'll be glad you did!

2 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!! Your lasagna seriously made me CRAVE lasagna...it looks so delicious...and I'm sure it was!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara- yum!!! And how perfect to make two at one time... you're right, it doubles so easily.

    Did I mention I am hungry?

    I've had a blog redesign over at Crystal & Co. Come check it out when you get a sec.

    ReplyDelete