Friday, November 19, 2010

Potato and Leek Soup


A cold, windy and snowy day
not much snow
just a bit blowing around
it was a soup day
I had this one
on my menu plan
for two weeks now
my leeks were not
looking happy in the fridge

I used the Kraft Canada
version of Potato and Leek Soup
as my starting point
but I thought it might be bland
so I added a few things

2 Tbsp Grapeseed Oil
4 Leeks white parts only,
cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
6-7 medium sized potatoes
peeled and cubed
5 cups water
1 1/2 tsp salt *
2 tsp fresh ground pepper *
2 tsp cumin *
2 tsp thyme *
2 tsp oregano *
1 tub cream cheese
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup real bacon bits *
* I've changed the amounts
or totally added a new ingredient

I used to find Leeks
intimidating
but really they are easy to use


you use the white part
and discard the rest
at least, that's what I do
if there is a use
for the green stalks
please let me know


when you slice them up
they are these cute little rings


because of how leeks grow
you really need to wash
them at this point
to remove the grit
I find my salad spinner
works wonderful


fill the bowl up with cold water
put the leeks in the strainer part
move them around
break them up
this will get the grit out


saute the leeks
in the grapeseed oil
again, I use the grapeseed
in place of extra virgin olive oil
because I like the taste better
you can use what you want


slice up your potatoes
add them in


add the water
the salt and pepper
and the extra yummy add ins
bring to a boil
simmer until the potatoes are tender


add to your blender
in batches
and blend well



add the cream cheese
try to add this
one tablespoon at a time
I ended up using a potato masher
to break it up better


I added more cumin
I love how it tastes
and added the bacon
yum yum
we served this up
nice and easy
cut veggies, cheese and crackers
the kids loved this
as did the parents




my kidlets were feeling better
and played with some potatoes
I just let it happen
it kept them happy




2 comments:

  1. Looks good T! Think I'll try it sometime. Never been a huge fan of leeks, but this looks pretty good, so I'll give it a shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely try making this soup...it looks so good. My kids don't love potatoes but they love soup so maybe they won't even notice that it's potato soup. Who knows..it's worth a try, right? :) Cute pictures of your kids...looks like they had a lot of fun with those potatoes.

    ReplyDelete