Thursday, March 3, 2011

Creamy Tomato Soup


My kids really
like Tomato Soup
previous I've just
used the canned version
so I wanted to
try my hand at homemade

Creamy Tomato Soup
click on the title
for the original recipe

4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, finely diced
course sea salt and fresh black pepper
splash of red wine vinegar (just over 1 Tablespoon)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons tomato paste
(I would use 2 next time)
1 dried bay leaf
2 cans (14 1/2-ounces each) low sodium chicken broth
2 cans (28-ounces each) whole peeled tomatoes in juice (with basil if available)
1/2 - 3/4 cup whole milk or cream


In a large saucepan or Dutch oven melt butter over medium heat. Add oil, carrot and onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is translucent and the carrots are well on their way to softening, about 7 to 8 minutes


Add the splash of vinegar and stir until cooked off
the vinegar is very fragrant


Turn flame to low and add flour
stir it into the onion and carrots


Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute
to distribute the paste and cook off the flour taste
have a look around a specialty shop
to find the 'tube' paste


Add chicken broth and bay leaf


With clean hands add the tomatoes to the pot
breaking the whole tomatoes up with your hands
as you add the tomatoes and the juice


Bring to a boil and reduce heat
simmer for 30 minutes
stirring occasionally


Remove from heat
let the soup cool for about 30 minutes
then working in two or three batches
puree some of the soup in a
conventional blender until smooth
or you can use an emulsion blender
to blend the soup directly in the pot


Return pureed soup to the pot


stir in milk or cream
I used 1/2 milk and 1/2 cream
season with salt and pepper to taste


this was VERY good
my husband didn't realize
that is was homemade
I wasn't sure how to take that
so I went and looked
at the ingredients
in the canned soup
the second ingredient
SUGAR
not to impressive
if you ask me


this was a big batch
and would freeze well
I'll make this again
I served it with some
fantastic grilled cheese
watch for that post tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. This looks good enough to try! TFS Tara! Where do you get tomato paste in a tube?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite soup...I've never made it though but I'll give it a try...the other day I tried an amazing soup in a restaurant..."creamy tomato-chipotle-red pepper" soup. I think I'll make your recipe and add the peppers...what do you think?

    ReplyDelete