I know the icing
is a crazy color
but the taste is
these are YUMMY
two of my requirements
The recipe is from
I've used a few of
and always like them
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest*
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (I used half and half)
3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Yellow food color, optional (I used bright green)
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Cut in the butter. I use two butter knives for this.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon zest and juice, cream, and egg.
3. Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients, just until a dough starts to form. Knead a couple times until the dough holds together.
4. On a lightly floured surface, gently press dough into a circle, about an inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges (I use a pizza cutter to quickly and neatly cut the wedges!).
5. Place scones on an ungreased baking sheet, not touching each other, and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and let rest on the sheet for 5 minutes.
6. Prepare the icing by mixing the powdered sugar with enough lemon juice to make a drizzling consistency. Add a drop or two of yellow food color if desired.**
7. Drizzle or brush icing over warm scones. These scones are delicious hot, but I think they taste even better the next day, when the lemon flavor has permeated the scone even more
My family LOVED these
and they were so very easy
and fast to make
a yummy breakfast
I love lemon