Friday, February 25, 2011

Indian Spiced Yogurt BBQ Chicken #2


I've BBQ'd an
Indian Spiced Yogurt Chicken
before and we enjoyed it
my in laws came for dinner
the meal I had planned
was a fair amount of work
so I wanted something easier
and I had some Greek Yogurt
that needed to be used

12 bone in, skin on chicken thighs
1 tub greek yogurt
3 tablespoons Garam Masala
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon tumeric
add it all into a ziplock bag
and mush it all around
to coat all the chicken


Warmed the BBQ on high
Turn off half the BBQ
put the Chicken Thighs
on the half that is off
this is called
indirect heat for cooking


close the lid
leave it to cook
for a minimum of 2 hours
checking about every half hour
you don't want to lose the heat
move around any pieces
that look to be cooking fast
with those that are cooking slow
but keep the moving to a minimum
cooking it for 2 hours or more
will make the skin nice and crisp
and the meat nice and moist


I served this with brown basmati rice
and roasted vegetables
including half an acorn squash


if you have not cooked
with an acorn squash
it's a bit of a tough squash
use a good knife
to cut the squash in half
scoop out the seeds


cut the squash into wedges
you could sprinkle some nutmeg
and roast it like this
the squash is very versatile


I peeled the skin off
and diced it small
and roasted it with
a ton of other
very colorful veggies


This was a very
very wonderful meal
my kidlets
they each ate three pieces of the chicken


my mother in law
is a fantastic baker
today she brought a homemade pie
rhubarb, apple and banana


she used apple and banana
because she cut the sugar
and used these to help sweeten the pie
so fantastic as always

1 comment:

  1. We experimented with squash this week and I found a good tip on the internet: Put the whole squash in the microwave on high for one minute. It softens the skin to make it a bit easier for cutting!
    I can't wait to try and cook some chicken this way! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete