Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Quinoa - WHAT?



I've heard alot about Quinoa
how it is so healthy for you
how it's a super food
above is a picture of Quinoa
before I cooked it tonight

I'm trying to take baby steps
to amp up the health of my family
in how I cook
Quinoa seemed to me
to be an easy way to
take a baby step


Here is an explanation from www.howtocookquinoa.com
Quinoa which is pronounced as (keen-wah) is also known as rice of Peru. It is grown above 10000 to 15000 feet above sea level. It was extensively used by Incas to increase the stamina for their warriors. It was necessary part of their daily diet. Quinoa can also be cooked like rice or it can also be used to make flour by grinding quinoa seeds.

Quinoa has high protein value. Quinoa has more kinds of amino acid in its protein than compared to wheat protein. Wheat is also rich in protein but the only thing is it is lacking in lysine (type of amino acid) , which is essential for tissue growth and repair, which quinoa has in great quantity. That is why Incas referred to quinoa as "chisaya mama" or "mother of all grains. Quinoa is especially good source of dietary fiber, phosphorous, magnesium, copper and iron as well as high amounts of thiamin, riboflavin, folate, and zinc.

A 1/2-cup serving of quinoa contains 111 calories, it also contain 20 grams of carbohydrates, 2 1/2 grams of fiber,4 grams of protein. A half cup of serving of quinoa will also give 15% of the required daily amount of magnesium and phosphorous. 28 to 30% of required daily amount of manganese

Quinoa is gaining popularity as a healthy food. It is not only food but can act as natural medicine also. People who are suffering from migraines and hypertension can also benefit from eating quinoa because of its riboflavin and magnesium content .Research has shown that quinoa helps in reducing high blood pressure, high cholesterol and relax blood vessel thus reducing the risk of heart disease .Quinoa is also used as medical food by people to reduce stress. Thus quinoa has became an alternative for many people who does not want to eat wheat or soya

So you can see
Quinoa is good for you
but kinda weird
so of course
I need to try it
I was shopping with my friend
who's family are vegetarians
and often eat quinoa
she encouraged me to finally try it


She also walked me thru
cooking it tonight
while we chatted on the phone
quinoa is super simple to prepare
1 cup of quinoa 2 cups of water
some salt
boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes
can it get any easier than that?


it looks very different
when cooked


I served it up
like I would with rice
some leftover ham
with some veggies
and gravy
with roasted broccoli
on the side


my family
LOVED QUINOA
they all had seconds
my girly only wanted the Quinoa
oh, by the way
this is how girly
currently smiles for the camera
and of course
you can see the quinoa
all over her face
as well as coming out her nose



during dinner the little man
was entertained by a leather jacket
he wanted to name him "BIRD"
we let 'bird' go
to find his family
after the little man got
a close up look


these kids of mine
were fighting like crazy
this morning first thing
just as I was ready
to give time outs
they started playing horse
the little man is totally
into trying to let girly ride on his back


then they decided
to play train
I tried very hard
to get a good picture
this is the best I could do




this kids are a true
gift from God
they can drive me crazy
then in a split second
cause me to laugh like crazy

So the moral of today's post
TRY SOMETHING NEW
like Quinoa
and love your family
like there is no tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment